Monday, June 24, 2013

Showing off the next generation of nerds

This year for fathers day I had a idea to have the kids take a picture for my husband.  It wasn't any of the super cute "We love Daddy" pictures I have seen on Pinterest.  Nope.  Instead I wanted to make it personalized for something he would really love.  I knew exactly what I was going to do.  His newest obsession is Dr. Who He has become a quick fan and I will admit he has sucked me in as well. I decided I would dress the kids up in Dr. Who costumes and have their pictures taken.  This was no small feat and I needed my moms help with some of the sewing but after several months of putting these together I took them into picture people for the final product.  I loved how it turned out but I wished the photographer had done more fun Doctor poses with the boys.

From the beginning I  knew that for the the costumes I was going to make the boys the 9th, 10th and 11th doctor and I wanted to make Lilly a dress that was modeled after the Tardis.  I tried to pick which boy would fit best with each regeneration of the doctor and then I set to work putting together their costumes.

I decided Joe would be the 9th Doctor (Christopher Eccleston).  Joe is a little goofy and just loves to be silly so I thought that would fit the character.  This costume was actually the easiest one to put together.  I bought a pair of black slacks and a grey t-shirt from Target.  Then I ordered a kids costume "Greaser" leather jacket.  It was a bit too big for Joe but I think it still gives the proper 9th Doctor affect.



James was the 10th Doctor (David Tennant).  He is a bit more quiet and reserved than the other boys.  My goal was to figure out a long trench coat and a pin strip suit.  I couldn't find exactly the right suit but I waited until Easter time, yes I was working on this way back at Easter time, to buy the one of the boys dress suits that are on sale during that time of year.  I don't know if David Tennant ever had a tan color suit but it was the best I could do at the time.  He has on tan dress pants a pin stripe vest, yellow shirt and striped tie.  It all came in one set form JCPenny.  I couldn't find any trench coats so it went onto the list of things I needed to make.  My mom and I got an coat pattern from Joanne Fabric Store.  We had to lengthen it to make it a full length trench.  I also got him a pair of Converse shoes, which he absolutely loves and wants to wear every day.  I have to say I think this one was my favorite costume.  I just loved the coat.



Nick was the 11th doctor (Matt Smith). Nick is my sly but silly one.  His smile reminds me of the 11th doctor, plus he loves to say that things are cool.  It was a perfect match.  Obviously the key to this one was the bow tie.  I found a pattern on pinterest for bow ties the only odd thing was that it turned out a little big.  In the end I like the way it turned out with the exaggerated size.  We also made the red suspenders.  I used a pair of black corduroys and a grey button down shirt that we already had.  Little boy sport coats are a bit hard to come by so my mom and I made that too.  We used the same pattern as the trench coat but we shortened it.


Each boy also had a different sonic screwdriver.  I wasn't able to match the right screw driver with the right doctor regeneration. Each of them picked one that they liked.  Since they each picked one and didn't fight I let it be.  Its rare that when they have to pick three different things that there isn't some sort of fight.  So I figured it was just fine to leave them as they were.  Plus one of the sonic screwdrivers was a replica of River Song's  screwdriver so I know I couldn't have everything be a perfect match.  They loved playing with them and trying to open doors and save the planet.  It was hilarious to watch.

Lilly was being a bit of a stinker during the photo shoot but we managed to get one good shot of her.  I decided to make a dress modeled after the Tardis.  My mom and I picked a ruffled jumper pattern and used blue and white knits.  I was a little nervous about making the Tardis pattern on the front and ruining the dress we made so I made a separate piece that I attached to the front of the dress.  The Windows are white knit sewed on to the front and then outlined with black fabric paint.  The white lettering was done free hand with fabric paint.  I was really scared about screwing up the paint.  I don't have great writing but I wanted to make sure I did I good job.  I really loved the way it turned out.  I put a white shirt and leggings under the dress plus my mom made a super cute flower head band to match.


I really loved the final product.   I tried to get the kids to keep a secret but they kept letting little hints outs.  Ray had it figured out but he didn't get to see it until father's day.  I had the kids get dressed up in their costumes and run out with their Sonic screw drivers to surprise him.  He really liked their costumes and even commented on how I matched their personalities to the right doctors.  After opening presents the kids wanted to play outside and pretend that their play house was the Tardis. All in all it was a pretty great day.
Surprise Daddy "We love Dr. Who"
The three Doctors

Lilly as the grumpy Tardis, Ray says she is thinking "look out don't mess with the Doctors"



I think it was a successful Fathers Day gift.  Plus I really think I have some of the cutest future Whovians in all of time and space!

4 comments:

  1. This is epic! I need more kids to make this happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Having four kids does make costuming pretty fun

      Delete
  2. What pattern did you use for the 10th Doctor's coat? I'm in need of making one for my 12 year old...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you make another dress like that?

    ReplyDelete