Monday, July 30, 2012

The Twin's Disneyland Birthday party


   I love throwing parties for the kids birthdays.  I know that they always have a great time and I think I will make some great memories for them growing up.  So this year I was trying to come up with a theme for Joe and Nick.  They would be celebrating their third birthday.  We tried to think of things that they really like and the best I could come up with was Disneyland.  They are obsessed with Disneyland.  They talk all the time about when we will go next and what we will go on.  They even pretend to go to Disneyland.  They take one of our toy buckets and run through the house telling me which ride they are on.  So it was decided.  Disneyland birthday party.  Here is what we came up with and how we celebrated.

First thing is the attire.  I found a great set of instructions on how to make mickey mouse tie dyed shirts. I made 10 shirts total.  One for each kid, one for Ray and I and each Grandparent got their own shirt for the party.  I think they turned out pretty good.  I want to wear them to Disneyland one day so I can get a castle picture in our cool shirts.  Ray is a little reluctant.  He just said "I don't think tie dye is that popular any more."  Maybe I will allow him to bring a shirt to change into as long as he will be in one picture.

Family picture right before the party started.

     I got some simple Mickey mouse decorations from party city.  Although I had tons of fun DIY crafts for Disney I just didn't have the time.  I will just use some of our ideas and craft projects with the kids later.  The one thing I did make was Disney quote print outs.  I found quotes from different movies and printed them out with a picture from the movie.  I taped them up all around my moms house.  A lot of people came up to me and said they were great.   I didn't take many pictures of just the decorations but in this picture you can see a pooh bear quote and a little bit of our Mickey banner.  Not to mention it's a great picture of Lilly with her Grammy and Great Grammy.
Lilly got a new princess chair 

   I decided to have most of our entertainment outside.  With as many kids as we were expecting it would be difficult to keep them cooped up inside.  So we turned my parents backyard into a bunch of Disney inspired activities.  My parents have a small pool and a play structure already.  So we made signs for Ariel's undersea adventure.  We put some Ariel bath toys for the kids to swim with.  Mostly these got thrown out for more play space and the sign got destroyed in some water gun fights but the thought was there.

Pool Set up before the party
Squirt gun battle between swimmer and grown ups


The play structure we named Tarzan's Tree house.  Underneath the play structure is a sandbox which we turned into a Pirates of the Caribbean treasure dig.  Each kid got to take a loot bag and find the buried treasure, gold coins and plastic rings.  I set up a Finding Nemo's bubble chest filled with bubble solution and a bunch of bubble wands.
Nemos bubble chest
Pirate Treasure Dig

We had a Jedi Training academy.  Each kid could pick a home made pool noodle light saber and a cape (made by my mom) and learn to fight the dark side.

Jedi Training Academy
Ray made Pool Noodle Light sabers for each kid
Home made capes in a variety of colors for each kid.

 Luckily my husband and a few other parents were willing to play light saber fights with the kids.  I didn't get a picture of it but my husband said he tripped on his Jedi robe and fell on his back side.  Then was attacked by about 15 pool noodle wielding kids. Oh how I wished I was out there for that moment.

Light sabers = fun for everyone even the grown ups

Father  and Son Jedi Training

We had a toontown bowling, a toy story bean bag toss and a splash mountain boat races.  Our boat races were in rain gutters and the kids used squirt guns to power their boats and race.
Toy Story Bean Bag Toss

Toontown Bowling

Rain gutter boat races

Marry Poppins also made a guest appearance for a few minutes.  She couldn't stay long because it was really hot and her coat is ridiculously hot.  But the kids did enjoy her coming around for a bit.  She even let them play with her umbrella for a bit.
Grandma dressed up like Mary Poppins to Surprise the boys
    We had a bunch of food for everyone.  Chips dips, and sandwiches.  But of course the favorite is the desert.  I made a cake that I tried to make look like Sleeping Beauty's castle.  Not a easy feat for an amateur cake maker.

Sleeping Beauty's Castle cake
 I also tried to make some fun Disneyland treats.  We had chocolate covered bananas, mickey mouse rice treats and some chocolate covered mickey pops.
Chocolate Disneyland treats

After the kids had played around for a while it was time to cut into the cake.  As I was bring the cake around Nick kept saying "That's my cake, that's my birthday cake."  I know they were very excited to have a cake that looked like a castle.   Nick and Joe were so surprised to have people singing to them.  They just stood there grinning.  They loved blowing out the candles, which they have been talking about for weeks.  I think everyone enjoyed the desserts.  Its always a little nerve wrecking when I make something like that.  I always hope it comes out OK.

Blowing out the candles
Singing happy birthday


Joe loves his mama's cake!


Lilly says, "Ssshhhh. Don't tell mom Uncle David Gave me Cake."


 Last but not least the boys got to open their presents.  It is amazing how much they can change in a year.  This year they really understood presents and saying thank you.  It makes a mom so proud to see that.

Joe and Nick getting ready for presents
Nick digging into one of his presents

At the end of the party each guest got to take home their pirate treasure bag, their pool noodle light saber, Jedi cape and a little party bag.

Mickey gift bags
All in all I call it a successful party.  The boys had a great day.  I think all of the guests had a god time.  I watched all the kids having a great time swimming and playing.  I think all of the food was great.  The most tell tale sign that it was a successful toddler birthday party, I was exhausted!!!  Well worth it though to see my kids enjoy their day.  Time to start planning James and Lilly's party now...

No comments:

Post a Comment