Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Starting preschool

   Last week was James' first day at preschool.  I was both excited and nervous.  For almost four years we haven't had much on our schedule during the days.  Now three days a week we have to be at preschool at 9.  It's definitely a change of pace for me.  I was also nervous about how I was going to feel about sending my big guy to school.  I really didn't want to be the mom that was walking out of the room crying as I said my good byes to my son.  I am a crying type of person so it was distinct possibility that there would be some tears on my end.
    On Tuesday the school had an open house.  This was a day designed for parents to come with their children into the classroom and let the kids explore their new space.  Ray and I went with James and we had Lilly with us.  My dad stayed at home with the twins.  We got to the school and James was a little nervous.  It always seems to take him a little bit to warm up to new situations.  We played for awhile in the room.  I had to run to a meeting at the school but Ray stayed and played with James until the end.
    The next day, Wednesday August 29th, was his big day.  I had to go in and wake the boys up so they could have breakfast on time.  It truly does seem a little unfair that its only been about a month that the boys started sleeping past 6 sometimes into the 7 range and now I have to go in and get them up. 
James was not too thrilled about being forced to get up
    Everybody had some oatmeal for breakfast and got dressed and ready to go.  My dad came with us in the car so that I only had to get out with James instead of bringing the whole crew with me.  We had some time before we left to take a few pictures.
He held onto this sign until we got to school
I love his smile.
Nick wanted to go to school too so he got his backpack on and took pictures with James
     James did OK when we got to the class.  He did grab onto my leg and then try to run out of the class.  I walked him over to his teacher.  I asked if it was easiest if I just go.  She said "yes, say a quick goodbye and leave." 
    So that's what I did.  I pulled him off my leg and squatted down next to him.  I said "Mommy loves you and I will be back soon.  Have a great day at school."  His teacher came and picked him up so he wouldn't run after me and I walked out of the room.  I did feel some tears coming on but I managed to choke them back and keep my composure. 
   When I came back to pick him up he barely noticed I was in the back of the room.  He was running around with two other boys and having a great time.  It made me feel a lot better.  I knew that he would be fine once I left (he does the same thing at church) but it was good to see him having some fun.  He doesn't talk much about what he did but he is not much of a talker.  He mostly says that he played, read books and made friends.  He also told me his teacher is nice to him.  That sets my mind at ease a bit.


He is in the purple room!
   Now here we go.  We survived week one! ready to take on week two.

No comments:

Post a Comment