Sunday, January 12, 2014

Winter Trip 2013: Part one Driving for two days with four kids.

As we were starting to make plans for the holidays, my in laws were trying to figure out when would be a good time to visit their family in Utah.  They wanted to take the kids to see the snow, so they were talking about dates in the winter. I mentioned that the boys were out of school for two weeks at Christmas time and other than that, they didn’t really have any big chunks of time off school. After a little bit of discussion it was decided that this whole crazy family would be taking a road trip over Christmas and New Years. My parents had already made plans to be with my sister in Virginia so we didn't have to worry about my side of the family.   It is not a small task (I should say that it is a big task but I do love doing it) to put together a nice family Christmas while at home. It is even harder to do it on the road.

As soon as we decided that we would be traveling over the holidays I started making plans, but not the kind that I was used to making.  Instead of planning my holiday menus and inviting family for parties, I was figuring out itineraries and talking to Mr. Train about hotel arrangements for our family. Here was our schedule.

Day 1: Drive to Saint George Utah, stay at a hotel
Day 2: Drive to Park City, stay in rental condo
Day 3-6 Enjoy park city and celebrate Christmas
Day 7: Drive to Las Vegas, stay at the Luxor Hotel
Day 8: sight see around Las Vegas
Day 9: Drive to Surprise Arizona
Day 10-11: Hang out with Family, celebrate New Years and Ray's Grandparents 65th wedding anniversary
Day 12: Drive home

 Looking back at it now I know why so many people thought we were crazy.  Most of my family and friends said, “Good luck with that” or “oh my God you’re crazy,” or “wow glad it’s not me.”  To be honest it was a bit of a crazy trip, but the memories we made with our kids and the holiday we had was worth all the craziness and the 40+ hours of driving.

We have done this road trip out to Utah several times since becoming parents, and we seem to be learning a little more each time. For example there is no way I can pack for all six of us for 12 days without washing clothes. Let me do some math for you. 4 kids x 12 days would be 48 pants and shirts and pajamas, not to mention we have to throw in all the ridiculous amounts of snow gear (moms who live in climates where it snows a lot I bow down to you because good lord it takes forever to get everyone dressed), and clothes for my husband and I. I also learned that for nights on the road, it’s good to pack one small overnight bag for the whole family so that the entire car doesn’t have to be unloaded at each stop.

These trips, and parenting in general, have forced me to be a more flexible person (not easy for a person like me). Google maps said it would take 7 hours our first day of driving but Google didn’t know we were going to have to stop at every rest stop between Baker and Las Vegas because someone had to go to the bathroom. Each time we unloaded all four kids to try to go and still we would only make it about 20 miles before someone else had to go again.

We thought we would be in Vegas at lunch time around the same time as my in laws who left from San Diego but they were about an hour behind us.  The timing just wasn't going to work.  There was no way we could entertain the kids at a restaurant for and hour before they got there or wait while they ate once they did arrive.  So of course plans had to change.  McDonald's it would be.  We had hoped to eat quickly and get back on the road but of course things just take so long when trying to herd four children around.

We did eventually make it to our destination.  After a few arguments between the driver and the navigator of course, we managed to find out hotel and meet up with Rays parents.  The kids were absolutely hyper after being in the car from 8:30 in the morning until dinner time but I knew we were going to have to eat somewhere but I was dreading going to a restaurant.  So first we let the kids run around the back of the hotel for a little bit where they found the smallest patch of snow.  You would have thought they won the lottery.  It was hilarious to watch them fuss over this small patch of snow when I knew tomorrow we would be heading into areas where there were several feet of snow on the ground.

Lilly tromping through the piles of snow
They have no idea how much snow will be in Park City
Then we headed off to The Olive Garden in hopes that the kids would be able to maintain some sort of composure throughout the meal.  To my surprise they actually did pretty well. I had to get up a bunch to take them to the bathroom but whats new... I don't think I have sat through very many meals in the last five years.  Ray had to take Nick outside for a little chat when he refused to sit in any chair because James had claimed the one he wanted but it didn't turn into a full blown kicking and screaming fit so I consider that a win.

It took awhile for everyone to calm down back at our hotel room.  Bed time after being in the car all day can be quite an interesting situation.  We did have to make some compromises to make everyone happy.  The twins ended up on the couch bed.  Lilly and I were in one queen bed and Ray and James were in the other.  James was not feeling very well and spiked a little fever right at bed time (Of course in my head I was freaking out.....not right at the beginning of the trip.... not a sick kid) and daddy was the only thing that was making him feel better.  Luckily he woke up feeling fine.

Lounging in our Hotel room
We had breakfast down in the lobby and packed up.  I think it was around 8:30 when we were on the road.  Rays Parents took the job of driving in the van with the kids and let us drive their car.  We were actually able to listen to our audiobook we brought.  Of course we had a lot of stops to make and I know the kids were getting excited.  Each stop we made had a little more snow on the ground.  As we got closer to Salt Lake it even started snowing.  They thought that was the best!  It was really funny to see my silly kids get so excited about dirty old snow on the ground at every gas station we stopped at.  (I think people could tell we were from out of town).

They insisted on playing in this snow at a rest stop while the people in the car next to us laughed.
Luckily we made it to our destination in Park City.  My mother in Law had rented a lovely Condo.  The kids ran up and down the stairs excitedly.  They found the room with the bunk bed in it so they knew immediately that it was theirs.  Ray began the daunting task of unloading everything from the car while I tried to herd the kids out of his way.  We pack in large duffel bags instead of suitcases because it was easier to shove them in the car in random places but man they are heavy.  He also had some packages from Santa that we were carefully trying to hide.  Fortunately they kids were so busy running and screaming their heads off that they didn't even notice what Ray was carrying up the stairs.

Next time I will write about all our adventures in Utah and celebrating Christmas on the road.









No comments:

Post a Comment