Sunday, January 5, 2014

Wreaths Across America: A Christmas Tradition

Last year my family attended an event that was really moving to me.  It may seem like an unusual family tradition but I really enjoyed it.  I say it might be unusual because it takes place in a cemetery.  I know what you must be thinking… a Christmas tradition at a cemetery?  I know it just sounds odd, but last year we attended our first Wreaths Across America. It is a nationwide event that started in Arlington, and has grown to include over 800 veterans' cemeteries.  Their mission is to Remember, Honor and Teach. It’s always on a Saturday in December, and it was one of the most moving and memorable things I have attended.

I had never heard of this event until last year.  My aunt had mentioned that she wanted to go because my Uncle and she used to go together.  My uncle had passed the year before and we were all, and still are, mourning his death. As a family we decided to gather together and support my Aunt. My uncle was a retired Marine and often enjoyed events that would celebrate and honor those who have served. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised and touched by the whole thing. We attended Wreaths Across America at Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery in San Diego. I knew it would be an emotional morning not only because it was something my Uncle liked, but because he is also buried there along with my grandparents.

Marines ready to present the flags at the beginning of the ceremony

In the morning there was a lovely ceremony.  They had chairs set up for the audience on a large grassy area.  They had several speakers talk about the memories of those who have served, those who lost their lives, and those who are currently serving. I often get caught up in the hustle and bustle of holiday schedules, but this morning I took the time to sit and listen. So many people in my family have served and are currently serving in all the different branches of the military. It was nice to take a minute to remember all of those people. During the ceremony they dedicate a wreath to each of the military branches. Each person in the audience who belonged or was currently serving stood while their wreath was brought to the front. I have to admit I had to choke back tears as I watched my dad stand while they played the Marine Corps Hymn and presented the wreath.  So many times I had seen him and my Uncle standing side by side for their anthem. I certainly felt him there with us that morning.

Dedication of the wreaths

At the end of the ceremony they gave everyone instructions for placing wreaths around the cemetery.  There were uniformed volunteers from various branches who had assignments  to place wreaths on those graves who had received medals of honor and those who were killed in action. Besides those wreaths, everyone was welcomed to place wreaths on any gravestone they wished and help honor those who have served our country. Although they don't have enough wreaths for the entire cemetery, there are huge sections that are completely covered in wreaths. It was a very humbling experience for me because not only are all the graves from people who have served in our military, but each of those wreaths were placed by someone who came to pay their respects.

A very moving sight from the morning.

Although this is a beautiful ceremony and the sight of the cemetery decorated is gorgeous, it can be a difficult thing for kids. We did not take the kids the first year because I didn't know what to expect. This year the kids wanted to go, but we missed the ceremony. We were still able to go and view the wreaths and see where my Uncle and Grandparents are interred. It of course brings up a ton of questions, but James has been asking them already.  He asks me all the time if my Uncle is in heaven playing with our dog Bailey and where is he buried. I figured it would be a good time to take him and help answer his questions.

We told them about paying their respects and coming to this calm place to remember our loved ones. It's hard for kids, but I think it's OK to teach them about it if they are asking questions. I think it's also important to help remind them that Christmas is not just a holiday about presents and cookies and candy, but that it's about family.  It's about giving our family members part of our heart and showing them our love.  I remember those family members who we have lost. I tear up at the thought of a family who can't celebrate together because a member of their family is over seas. I outright cry at the thought of families who are also mourning the loss of their family members. I want to share those emotions with my kids because they are real, and they are a part of who I am during this holiday season.


I am glad they are learning how to honor those we have lost during the holiday season.

Like I said, I know it sounds weird to have a Christmas Tradition that involves going to a cemetery, but if you ever have the chance to see the wreaths on any of the national cemeteries it is truly a beautiful and humbling sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment